Supervisor Name: Lesley Lamarche
Center For Academic Success
May not work when class is scheduled even if class is canceled (no exceptions)
Up to ten hours a week during school and 18 hours when school is not in session
The Learning Essentials Specialist (LES) is a part-time, academic work study position for the Tutoring Program, located within the Center for Academic Success. The LES is a specially trained tutor who will assist students in building and expanding their learning skills in order to be more successful academically. This specialist is not focused on content related tutoring. The LES will work one-on-one or with a small group of students and will be responsible for guiding students in improving their academic performance by introducing and reinforcing new methods of learning. Examples of some non-content related skills & techniques are: How to effectively skim a reading assignment, outlining a reading assignment to simplify its content, organizing and simplifying notes for better information recall, enhancing long term memory techniques, to name a few.
- Graduate level student preferred
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- Must provide letter of recommendation from either a professor or academic advisor
- Must possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to convey information in a simple organized and understandable manner.
- LES must excel at and be comfortable with teaching academic skills such as, but not limited to: enhancing notes using color and imaging techniques, exam preparation strategies, reading assignment skimming & outlining techniques, procrastination & motivation assistance, defining academic goals, long term memorizing, academic success planning
Duties and responsibilities associated with the position and how they relate to the purpose/role:
- Assess academic needs during each visit
- Facilitate academic support sessions
- Create a positive environment to promote productivity and learning
- Provide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, and build student confidence
- Prepare students to become independent learners
- Participate in training and development sessions to improve tutoring practices and techniques as they pertain to the LES position
- Complete all reports and paperwork as required
When you apply, please include the following information in your cover letter:
Why do you believe you are qualified for this position?
Employer's online application: https://aic.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/189985